Happy Skeptic

Because cynicism is overrated.

Name:
Location: Vienna, VA

I am a figment of your imagination

Saturday, April 02, 2005

Us and them

One book I'd love to read is Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason's upcoming account of the band's history.

It's not so much that Floyd is my favorite band. I think I'm drawn to this one for the same reason I've been fascinated with the history of The Doors. They're a frustrating band. Brilliant at times, yet too easily distracted by problems of drugs and ego.

I'm also quite curious to know how Mason has managed to be friends with both Roger Waters and David Gilmour. Waters doesn't exactly strike me as someone who can let go of a grudge.

Besides, I'm always fascinated with any history of a creative effort. Floyd was nothing if not creative. They were more ambitious than the average band -- even more ambitious than prog-rock bands like Yes because they intended to make grand statements rather than abstract art. (If there's a grand statement behind Tales from Topographic Oceans, please put up a Web site explaining it.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home