Happy Skeptic

Because cynicism is overrated.

Name:
Location: Vienna, VA

I am a figment of your imagination

Sunday, April 03, 2005

Things you find while searching for song lyrics

I hate searching for song lyrics on the Web because the first 30 sites you find invariably do battle with your pop-up blocker for a couple of minutes, usually squeezing one through and sometimes asking if you'd like your home page to be reset to "http://www.phishscheme.com/~sucker/"

So today, I skipped to page 7 of the search results to get past all that, and I found an interesting FAQ on an aspect of Tori Amos song lyrics -- namely, the recurrence of the name Neil.

I skimmed through and believed it for a while. But the giveaway was here:


For example, the line "Where's Neil when you need him" was originally meant to be understood as, "Where's Neil when you KNEED him". This, obviously, shows Amos' passionate desire to take Neil and smush him into a giant soft loaf of bread.

Almost any explanation of a Tori Amos song can sound plausible to me, even the one about space aliens. But that one, along with "HOW TO TELL WHEN SOMEONE IS PULLING YOUR LEG F.A.Q.," got the point across nicely.

So can someone tell me what Tear in Your Hand is really supposed to mean?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home